Well, I’ve been slogging away at my flooring job in between all the family medical stuff, but my brain simply froze up when considering doing any work on Marks of Repentance. As you may recall, I started working on third round revisions in January in anticipation of entering the first 25 pages in a contest. While I love the story, the past few months have really tested my patience with the whole process. I did enter the contest at the end of March (just as the crisis season began) and hadn’t opened the files since.
Yesterday I tried to figure out where I’d left off. I’d rewritten the opening chapters so many times it was hard to figure out. There were far too many files in the folder, because instead of deleting a previous version, I’d just open a clean document and start over again with my newest idea of how to introduce the darn thing. So the last modified dates were a big help in tracking myself, but it wasn’t the only issue. Some versions had made it further into the novel than others, and had later parts I wanted to keep even though I liked a newer opening better.
Yes, that took awhile. I finally made a new sub-folder to store all the rejects in, at least until I’m certain I gleaned all the right bits. Now there is only one version stored in the main sub-folder, so I shouldn’t have to go through all that again.
Today I actually made progress. One scene. Probably no more than a thousand words, mostly copy-pasted. But still, it IS progress. The next scene needs more than a minor buffing, though. It needs dynamite. Thankfully its fairly short so I should be able to rewrite it from scratch tomorrow. Today seems to have had enough progress already!