October 24, 2011 is the date of the first annual Food Day. Each year on this date Americans (Canadians, too?) will celebrate and push for healthy, reasonably priced food that’s produced is an eco-friendly and sustainable way. This year you’ll find schools, communities, health professionals, chefs, and foodies celebrating Food Day in their own way.
Food Day aims to fulfill 6 goals. These include:
1. To reduce diet-related disease (like heart disease and diabetes) by promoting safe, healthy foods
2. To support sustainable farms and limit subsidies to big agribusiness
3. To expand access to food and alleviate hunger
4. To protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
5. To promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
6. To support fair conditions for food and farm workers
Yum! Don’t we all love food? Don’t we all want to be healthy and support health in others? What’s not to love about celebrating FOOD DAY! I think I’ll celebrate by…eating good, local stuff. Mmm.