I have to laugh that I thought I’d cut words with all the rewriting of the first fifteen pages. Not so much. Sure I cut a scene. I also added one. According to the over all word count once I’d shuffled my Word doc back into Scrivener, I added about 500 words with a honkin’ huge 4550 word first chapter that defies chopping up.
So I’ve been glancing through–not reading thoroughly–making a list of the scenes I have and seeing what seems choppable. Or at least snippable. I’m on Chapter 7 of 21 and have a growing list of places to tighten. I think I can do this without losing too much. And I think I must resist the siren call of all the places that beg to have the theme expanded, and deeper characterization. Etc.