Trim Healthy Mama is a sustainable way-of-eating that has helped hundreds of thousands of women (and their families) lose weight while getting trim and healthy. It’s not designed to be a quick fix for weight problems that (probably) have taken many years to accumulate, but to give you the tools to make wise choices with food that will almost certainly help you part ways with the excess baggage.
THM is designed to keep your blood sugar stable. In fact many pre-diabetics and even diabetics have brought their numbers under control with this WOE (way of eating). Some have said goodbye to insulin; others have said goodbye to cholesterol and/or blood pressure meds. THM has the ability to heal your body from the inside out.
There are some basic dos and don’ts, but if you’re interested, you will definitely want to read the official plan and not go by my short cap!
• Goodbye to sugar, aspartame, sucralose.
• Goodbye to most ‘regular’ bread and bread products and junk food.
• Goodbye to white rice and most ‘regular’ pasta.
• Goodbye to cornstarch and arrowroot for thickening.
• Goodbye to cow’s milk or buttermilk
• Goodbye to demonizing all carbs!
• Hello to plant-based sweeteners such as stevia, erythritol, xylitol, and monkfruit extract — chiefly, sweeteners that do not impact your body’s glucose levels.
• Hello to anchoring each meal or snack with protein.
• Hello to lots of nonstarchy veggies and greens.
• Hello to gluccomannon and xanthan gum for thickening
• Hello to separating fuels. Both fats and (some) carbs are fuels your body needs, but THM advises not having them at the same meal, allowing your body to cleanly burn one type of fuel before having to deal with the other kind.
• Hello to eating every 3-4 hours.
• Hello to eating normal food until you are fully satisfied!
So… on THM, like any good secret society, we have acronyms and code words! Here are some of ours.
S Meals: this stands for ‘satisfying’ and speaks of meals/snacks that are low in carbs and high in fats. Think keto. Here are S recipes I’ve blogged.
E Meals: this stands for ‘energizing’ and speaks of meals/snacks that are low in fats and moderately high in good carbs. Here are E recipes I’ve blogged.
FP Meals: this stands for ‘fuel pull’ which means the basic fuels your body needs have been pulled away, leaving a meal that is low in both carbs and fat. These tend to be low calorie and are what you think of when you think of diets! THM doesn’t advise these very often, although they are like a little black dress and go with everything. Here are FP recipes I’ve blogged.
XO Meals: this stands for ‘cross-over’ and speaks of meals/snacks that contain entirely on plan ingredients, but are high in both (good) carbs and fats. Eating too many of these will slow weight loss, but are fine on occasion. Here are XO recipes I’ve blogged.
Freestyling: THM doesn’t tell you when to have an S meal and when to have E. Rather, the plan encourages us to mix it up as we want, and try not to get in a rut, or our bodies will get complacent. We want to keep our bodies guessing what comes next.
Official Quick Start Beginner’s Guide
Trim Healthy Mama Plan Book (the plan, the whole plan, and nothing but the plan!)
Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook (no plan, just great recipes)
Trim Healthy Table (abbreviated plan plus lots of recipes)
Trim Healthy Future (abbreviated plan plus lots of recipes)
I’m an Amazon affiliate, and I thank you for clicking on the buy links above.
Please Note: I am not an authorized Trim Healthy Mama coach or blogger, although I play one in fiction…